The Internet should add convenience, not headaches. From step-by-step instructions to helpful tips, we'll help you install your equipment, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your online experience – minus the migraine.
How to Change or Update Primary Account Holder
Last Updated: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 > Related Articles
Eligibility and steps for changing primary account holder responsibility.
When can I change my name on my account?
If the change pertains to one of the following:
- Marriage - You may change your last name or middle initial, if applicable. (Marriage license required)
- Divorce - You may change your last name or middle initial, if applicable. (Divorce decree required)
- Legal name change. (Court order required)
- Misspelling. (Government-issued photo ID required)
When can I give someone else account responsibility?
The following scenarios qualify customers as eligible to assume the Telephone Number or Equipment of the former account holder:
- Death of account holder when the telephone number or equipment is going to be assumed by the spouse/domestic partner or immediate family member.
- Disability of the account holder, which requires the telephone number or equipment to be assumed by the spouse/domestic partner or immediate family member.
- Account holder is moving and the telephone number or equipment is going to be assumed by an ex-spouse/domestic partner, immediate family member, or roommate currently listed as an authorized user on the account.
Accounts are only eligible for assuming telephone number(s), data. and / or video equipment. If a Change of Responsibility or Name Change is not applicable and you need further assistance with the change to your account, please contact Customer Service.
How to Apply for a Change of Account Responsibility
Explanation of Terms
- Account Assumption - This is when you want someone else to take over responsibility for your account, usually due to a death.
- Account Release - This is the actual release of the account to the new responsible party.
- Below are two forms to be filled out and returned to Cox. The existing account holder, the one releasing responsibility, must sign and complete the Account Release form for all active service being released. The new account holder, the one taking over the account, must also complete an Account Assumption form for all preexisting services to be assumed.
Account Release Account Assumption
Both the Account Release and Account Assumption forms must be notarized before mailing and processing with Cox Communications.
- Account Assumptions in the case of death of the account holder require an Account Assumption Agreement and one of the following:
- Official obituaries in newspapers and online; funeral programs
- Online search of state, county, and city public records
- The appointment from from Probate Court (if executor of estate)
- Death Certificate
- Change of Account responsibility for telephone service will require a record for Third Party Verification to be obtained with the person who is requesting to assume the telephone number, prior to processing the request. Please include a valid phone number that the new account holder can be reached at on the Account Assumption Agreement.
- Mail name change and associated documentation to the address listed below.
Changes will be completed within five business days of receipt of both forms, excluding requests that include telephone service. An Account Assumption including telephone service will be processed within five business days of receiving a Third Party Verification.