Billing & Account Support
Account Holder Name Change
Last Updated: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 > Related Articles
View information about customer eligibility for a name change and associated forms.
Eligibility for a Name Change
The following scenarios qualify customers as eligible for an account holder name change:
- Marriage - You may change your last name or middle initial, if applicable. (Marriage license required)
- Divorce - You may change your last name or middle initial, if applicable. (Divorce decree required)
- Legal name change (Court order required)
- Misspelling (Government-issued photo ID required)
If the change pertains to one of the following, please see Change or Update Primary Account Holder.
- Death of account holder when the telephone number or equipment is going to be assumed by the spouse/domestic partner or immediate family member.
- Disability of the account holder, which requires the telephone number or equipment to be assumed by the spouse / domestic partner or immediate family member.
- Account holder is moving and the telephone number or equipment is going to be assumed by an ex-spouse/domestic partner, immediate family member, or roommate currently listed as an authorized user on the account.
Accounts are only eligible for assuming telephone number(s), data, or video equipment.
If a Change of Responsibility or Name change is not applicable and you need further assistance with the change to your account, please contact Customer Service for assistance.
How to Apply for a Name Change
To initiate a name change for your account, sign and complete the Name Change Agreement form by clicking the button below:
The Name change form must be notarized when submitting by mail in order to be processed.
- In addition to the signed form, the account holder must provide associated documentation to be attached with the Name Change Agreement, such as marriage license, divorce decree or court order / approved name change.
- Return the Name Change Agreement and associated documentation to your nearest Cox retail store.