Are the cables in your living room creating a jungle? Don't worry – we'll help you untangle things so that Digital Television makes sense. Just pick the category that describes your problem, and we'll guide you through it – step-by-step.
Using the Pause Live TV Feature in a Whole Home DVR Network
Last Updated: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 > Related Articles
With a Cox Whole Home DVR (WH DVR) network, you can pause live TV from any receiver on the network.
The host DVR in a Whole Home DVR (WH DVR) network can always pause a live TV show in real time. Simply press the pause button on the remote control.
The HD receiver, called the "client" receiver in the WH DVR network, must be set up to Pause Live TV. Make sure:
- The Pause Live TV setting for the client receiver is set to the On setting.
- The DVR host receiver has an available tuner to enable the pause from the client receiver. If the DVR receiver is tied up recording the maximum number of shows, then the client receiver cannot Pause a Live TV show. In this case, you can cancel one of the DVR recordings in progress and then pause from the client receiver. See the section below titled, "How To Enable and Disable Client Pause From the DVR."
To Turn On and Off the Pause Live TV Feature
Before you can pause TV from the HD client receiver, the feature must be turned ON using the steps below.
- Go to the HD receiver, not the DVR.
- Press the SETTINGS button on the remote.
- Highlight the Receivers option and press SELECT.
- Highlight the DVR Network option and press SELECT.
- Highlight the Pause Live TV option and press SELECT.
Result: The On and Off options display.
Note: This On / Off setting does not display for the DVR receiver. It displays only for the HD client receiver in a WH DVR network. A situation where you may want to temporarily turn Off the Pause Live TV setting on the client receiver is when you're watching and recording TV with the DVR and do not want to be interrupted by Pause commands from the client receiver.
- Highlight the On or Off option and then press SELECT on the remote.
- Repeat the steps above for each HD client receiver in the WH DVR network, if needed.
Result: You can now use your remote control to pause live TV on your client HD receiver.
To Pause and Resume Live TV
- Press the pause button on the remote for the HD client receiver.
Note: If the pause did not occur, either:
- Wait 5-10 seconds for the pause to activate.
- The Pause Live TV setting is turned OFF. Turn it back ON. (See steps above.)
- The DVR is unable to execute the pause for the client receiver. Either the DVR is busy making simultaneous recordings or the person watching TV from the DVR clicked the NO option when the request to pause the client receiver was displayed onscreen. The DVR will enable the HD client pause if:
- The person watching TV from the DVR either clicked the YES option or didn't respond at all to the request to pause live TV.
- You cancel a DVR recording that's in process. See the section below titled, "How To Enable and Disable Client Pause From the DVR."
- Press the play button on the remote to resume viewing a paused program.
Note: For the remainder of the program, you can rewind to the point when you paused it. You can fast forward and instant replay throughout the remainder of the program.
How To Enable and Disable Client Pause From the DVR
How the client receiver enlists the DVR when pausing
When you pause from the HD client receiver, it stops showing you the live program but keeps streaming it -- this time to the DVR as a temporary recording in the buffer. This temporary and uninterrupted recording is what you watch when you un-pause and resume viewing where you left off.
If the DVR is already recording on all of its tuners, there's no room for the live program. You can wait and pause later from the HD receiver. Or go to the DVR and cancel one of the recordings in progress, which frees up DVR to accept the pause from the HD client receiver.
To cancel a recording in process
Go to the DVR, tune to a recording in process, and then press the SELECT button on the remote. Highlight the option Cancel This Recording. Then press SELECT again.
To prevent pause requests from reaching the DVR, either:
- Press any of the pause, rewind, or fast forward buttons on the DVR remote. This temporarily locks out the pause commands sent from any and all HD receivers for 3 hours. You can press any of those buttons again to restart the 3-hour lockout. At the end of the 3 hours, the ability of the HD client receivers to pause is restored.
- Turn Off the Pause Live TV setting at each of the HD client receivers in the WH DVR network. (See the section above titled, "To Turn On and Off the Pause Live TV Feature."