Using Parental Controls with a Motorola Cable Box
Last Updated: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 > Related Articles
Parental Controls allow you to block programs by channel, rating, or time of day.
Create Parental Controls
- Select and lock the channels, ratings, or time of day.
- Turn Parental Control on for the entire system.
Lock and Unlock by Title
The Lock by Title function prevents NC-17 and Adult programming from displaying on the channel banner or in the onscreen guide. This function will restrict program viewing.
- Press Menu to open the Settings Menu.
- Press the Up or Down arrow and highlight Parental Control.
- Press the Right arrow.
- Enter your 4 digit PIN.
- Press the Up or Down arrow and highlight Lock Titles.
- Press the Right arrow.
- Press the Up or Down arrow to highlight Yes or No and press Select.
Unlock by Channel
- In the Program Guide, press Select on the channel you want to watch.
If the channel is locked, the following message will appear: Viewing is blocked due to Parental Control.
- Press Select.
- Press the Up or Down arrow to highlight Unlock This Channel Only.
- Press Select, and enter your PIN.
Result: A confirmation screen will appear stating: Lock is disabled for the channel.
Locking Parental Controls
When you lock Parental Controls, you activate all settings for locked channels, ratings, titles and time periods. If you have not locked any channels, ratings, titles or time periods, locking Parental Control has no effect.
When Parental Control locking is turned on, programming matching your lock settings is blocked. To view locked programming requires PIN entry to turn off Parental Control for the channel or all channels.
If Parental Control is set to Off/Relock, it remains off until the cable box power is turned off and on, or if there is no activity for five hours. After that, Parental Control automatically relocks.
Locking Parental Control From the Settings Menu
- Press the MENU button until the Settings menu displays.
- Press the up or down arrow button to highlight the Parental Control preference.
- Press the right arrow to move to the Option column.
- Press the numbered buttons to enter the four numbers of your PIN.
Result: The Option column displays.
- Press the up or down arrow button to highlight the Locking option.
- Press the right arrow button to move to the Setting column.
- Press the up or down arrow button to highlight the On option.
- Press the SELECT button. This turns on locking.
- From the settings column, you may select to do one of the following:
- To continue configuring the Parental Control options, press the left arrow button once to return to the options display and select the next option you wish to set.
- To continue configuring other Settings, press the left arrow button twice to return to the preference display and select the next preference you wish to set.
- To exit the Settings menu, press the EXIT button.
Understanding TV Ratings
|All Children||This program is designed to be appropriate for all children. Whether animated or live-action, the themes and elements in this program are specifically designed for a very young audience, including children from ages 2 to 6.|
|Directed to Older Children||This program is designed for children age 7 and above. It may be more appropriate for children who have acquired the developmental skills needed to distinguish between make-believe and reality. Themes and elements in this program may include mild fantasy violence or comedic violence, or may frighten children under the age of 7.|
|Directed to Older Children-Fantasy Violence||This rating applies to those programs where fantasy violence may be more intense or more combative than other programs in this category.|
|General Audience||This rating applies to those programs where fantasy violence may be more intense or more combative than other programs in this category.|
|Parental Guidance Suggested||This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. The theme itself may call for parental guidance and/or the program contains one or more of the following: moderate violence (V), some sexual situations (S), infrequent coarse language (L), or some suggestive dialogue (D).|
|Parents Strongly Cautioned||This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age. Parents are strongly urged to exercise greater care in monitoring this program and are cautioned against letting children under the age of 14 watch unattended. This program contains one or more of the following: intense violence (V), intense sexual situations (S), strong coarse language (L), or intensely suggestive dialogue (D).|
|Mature Audience Only||This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17. This program contains one or more of the following: graphic violence (V), explicit sexual activity (S), or crude indecent language (L).|