Troubleshooting Cox Business Email
Last Updated: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 > Related Articles
If you are having trouble with your Cox Business Email account, here are some steps to troubleshoot your connection.
Check for an Internet Connection
Is your Internet connection working? Always test your Internet connection first. Your email will not work unless your Internet connection is functioning properly.
- Open your browser.
Examples: Internet Explorer, Netscape, Safari
- Attempt to go to a website you know is always up such as bing.com or google.com.
Note: If you are unable to access a website, you do not have an Internet connection, and email will not work.
Read the Error Message
Error messages can assist you in discovering what is wrong. Even if they do not indicate what the solution is, make note of the message. When you call Technical Support, they can help pinpoint the issue.
Test or Verify Your Username and Password
Cox Business offers web mail for all customers that have an email account hosted on the Cox servers. Using this interface is an easy way to test your username and password.
- Go to http://www.coxmail.com.
- Attempt to log in with your username and current password.
- Your username is your full email address with Cox Business.
- If you are unable to log in, call Technical Support to reset your password or if necessary further troubleshooting.
Disable Email Anti-virus Scanning
Some anti-virus programs will setup their own POP (inbound) and SMTP (outbound) settings to scan for viruses in your email. While this is a good idea, it may cause sending and receiving issues with your mail.
If you are have and Internet connection and are having trouble sending or receiving email, do the following:
- In your anti-virus program, only turn off email scanning.
- Once email scanning is off, test your email again.
- If it works, then your email scanning is the issue. Contact your anti-virus manufacturer for assistance for this type of problem.
- All email hosted by Cox Business is scanned for viruses before it is delivered to your inbox and all outgoing mail is scanned before it is sent to the recipient. See Anti-Virus for CoxMail Subscribers and CoxMail Spam Features for more information on how Cox Business protects your hosted email.