Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2007
Last Updated: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 > Related Articles
Learn to configure Microsoft Outlook 2007 to send and receive Cox email.
POP vs. IMAP
Note POP is the recommended incoming mail server for customers who will primarily use a mail client (i.e. Outlook, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc.) to receive email. However, if a customer also plans to regularly use a smartphone (i.e. Blackberry, Iphone, Android, etc.) or the Cox Business Email web interface to receive mail, then IMAP should be used. Instructions for both approaches are below.
From the Tools menu, select Account Settings.
Select the E-mail tab.
Select Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
Select Internet E-mail and click Next.
Enter the email account and server details:
- Account type is POP3
- Incoming mail server is pop.coxmail.com for POP, or imap.coxmail.com for IMAP.
- Outgoing mail server is smtp.coxmail.com
- User name is your email address
- Password is your account password.
Click More Settings.
Under the Outgoing Server tab, select My ougoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
Select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
Under the Advanced tab, change:
- Incoming server (POP3) to 995 for POP or 993 for IMAP
- Select This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
- Outgoing server (SMTP) to 465
- Select SSL from the Use the following type of encrypted connection drop-down list.