Configuring the RIM Blackberry to Send and Receive Email
Last Updated: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 > Related Articles
Learn how to set up the Blackberry to send and receive email from your Cox account.
IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. It is an Internet standard language used to receive email. Unlike the most common Internet standard for receiving mail, Post Office Protocol (POP), IMAP is designed to leave a copy of email messages on the server. This allows email messages to a viewed and managed by multiple devices (e.g. laptop, desktop, mobile phone, etc.), hence providing email mobility. Secure IMAP simply requires the use of a more secure connection between the device/software and the mail server to enhance security. For smartphones, we will provide basic configuration help. Anything beyond that will need to be referred to the product’s vendor.
Note: Cox Business does not provide support for these devices. The IMAP settings information provided is for reference only. For additional information on setting up these devices, visit the manufacturer’s websites.
To configure your Blackberry to send and receive email:
- Tap the Setup Wizard icon on your Blackberry's screen.
- Choose Email Setup.
- In the Setup Wizard, on the Email Setup Screen, select I want to create or add an email address. Click Next.
- Click Next to open the email setup website on your Blackberry.
- Click I Accept if you agree to the legal terms and conditions.
- On the Email Setup Screen, select Other.
- Enter your full email address. Leave the Password field blank.
- Click Next. A message appears: "The email address or password is incorrect, or we need more details. Retype the information or provide additional settings."
- Select Provide additional settings.
- Select the POP/IMAP radio button. Click Next.
- On the next screen, enter the following:
- Your full email address
- Your password
- Email server is imap.coxmail.com
- User name is your full email address
- Click Next.
- Click Signature and Settings.
- Select Advanced Settings. Verify that:
- Port shows 993
- Use SSL is set to Yes.
- Click Save.
All steps complete.