Troubleshooting your Remote Control
Last Updated: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 > Related Articles
Quick troubleshooting steps to help resolve problems with your remote control.
Please refer to the Index of Cox Remote Controls for information that may be used to operate and and program your remote control.
Remote will not turn on the TV
If you are having problems operating the TV, your remote may not be in Cable mode. Follow these steps to troubleshoot:
- Make sure the TV is OFF.
- Press the Power button on the Cox Remote control.
- Press the CBL (cable) button.
Remote works occasionally
If your remote works only sometimes, you may be experiencing one of the following problems:
- The Cox remote does not have a direct line of sight to the cable box.
- Something may be between the remote and the cable box, blocking the remote's signal to the cable box.
- The angle between the remote and the cable box is too large.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot:
- Aim the remote control directly at the cable box front panel (not the TV or VCR).
- Remove obstacles between the remote and the cable box.
- Stand in front of the cable box and not too far to either side.
- Ensure that the range of the remote control is within 15 feet, with direct line of sight to the cable box.
Remote will not change channels or turn on the TV
The batteries of your remote may be depleted, or you may be experiencing other issues with the device. Try this quick test:
- Press the Power button on the front of the cable box. If the box turns ON or OFF, the remote is not operating correctly and may need new batteries.
- Verify the equipment is plugged in to a power outlet, and that any loose cables are tightened.